Christmas is a month away and for those with items still on their lists, time is winding down. Wine, cider, spirits, are all great gifts, but we know we all have friends and family members who do not drink, are too young to consume alcohol, or who live further away and we don’t want to ship liquids to. So, here are our picks for wine (and non-wine) gifts for everyone on your list. This list highlights Black and brown businesses (both big and small), as well as local, Virginia wineries and other businesses.
For your best gal pals
- Unique, campy gifts from Faded Poppy Mercantile in Waynesboro, VA. Honestly, just support this business. One of the most respected businesses in the Valley, Sarah and Jason continue to be allies for LGBTQ, Black and other communities of color, and pride themselve on providing a covid-safe environment for customers and clients. Check them out for everything from fresh flowers to candles, mugs, bath and body items, and more.
- Shop Shaniece B for candles. Black and woman-owned, this one-stop wellness shop is expanding into the growing luxury picnic arena in 2022.
- Darling Boutique is a favorite in Charlottesville and it’s easy to see why when you step into this downtown shop. Woman-owned and operated, Darling offers a plethora of gifts and features Black and other small businesses and creatives of color frequently. It’s really a one-stop shop to pick up something for yourself and gifts for others. If you’re not already sold, it frequently helps raise funds for local nonprofits. Shop gifts online or in-store.
For your sister and your self
- Renee’s Boutique is ready to meet all of your holiday season needs. Black and female-owned, this online retail destination has everything from holiday looks for you to great gifts for all of the important people on your list.
- We hear a lot that there is no black-owned book stores to support in Charlottesville, and that’s true, but you can support the book shop in the Alumni Room at the Jefferson School African American Heritage Center. You can check the website to see what items are available or visit the shop in-person.
- Mim Beauty is located in Waynesboro and a great place to stock up on stocking stuffers. The staff here is great and makes the store all the more fun to visit. It also has a great selection of wigs and hair to get you ready for the holiday season or to gift to someone else.
- If you have people on your list who love plants, check out WeGrow in Scottsville.
For the kiddos
- Pufferbellies in Staunton is a whole destination. While this bright, fun space has some popular toy items, most of what you’ll find here are unique choices that will encourage learning through play. The store also includes a candy section.
- Support a black-owned wine brand and try Harmony Wine. Founded by Matt Harmon, Harmony Wine offers six wine selections currently. You can order online so really sending to friends and family is hassle free.
- Cheese board deck at Anthropologie. Honestly, I’m giving these to all of my friends this year. What could be more fun than a deck of cards all about cheesboard and charcuterie inspiration? Not much.
- Gift cards to wineries are still great gifts. Give them to some favorites or to new ones you know friends and family want to try out.